Saturday, October 15, 2011

Career Girl

It's funny how things can change so much in such a short period of time.

When I was in high school I never would have imagined I would be where I am right now. My priorities have completely changed. I always imagined at 22 I would be married with at least one kid. Not unmarried and focusing on my career. I never thought I'd drop out of University after 3 long, hard, stressful years. And I NEVER would have believed someone if they said I would be in college studying Esthetics!

Of all the careers I considered (and there were tonnes), Esthetician was never one of them! Architect, Mechanic, Obstetrician, Entrepreneur, Police Officer, Forensic Anthropologist, Writer, Journalist, Pastor, Sociologist, Musician, Therapist, Social Worker, Addictions Counsellor, Marketing Executive, etc. Not once did I consider the beauty side of things until my second year of University. I started watching makeup tutorials on YouTube and playing around with make and then I decided I wanted to take makeup artistry after University. After a year I developed a talent for nail art.

I saw the advertisement for my school on the side of a transit bus when I was home visiting from University. I looked into the program but couldn't decide between the makeup and nail courses, so I ended up taking a year off of school completely to assess my life. After a year, I decided to take the 44 week Esthetics program which includes nails, makeup, waxing, facials, body treatments, and relaxation massage.

I could not be happier! I was always miserable in University. The education is not tailored to individual students and nothing is interactive and hands on. Nothing ever really stuck and I just felt...stupid. I just wasn't good at it. But the Esthetics program had been so good for me. I'm not AS shy, I'm more confident, I'm happy and most importantly: I enjoy it! And I'm pretty good at it!

Nothing in life is guaranteed. Plans change, minds change. The best advice I can give anyone is find a career doing something you LOVE! It really is true that if you love what you do, you will never work a day in your life! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment